Metal fabrication utilizes raw metal materials to create metal parts. Techniques such as cutting, punching, bending, and welding are used in the entire manufacturing process of metal products.
Sheet metal fabrication is a sub-type of metal fabrication. It refers to the creation of metal structures with the help of a variety of processes. Sheets of steel or other metals are processed and assembled using this procedure to create a final product. There are several sheet metal fabrication companies in Malaysia.
What does a sheet metal fabricator do?
Sheet metal fabricators are focused on one or more techniques that are generally involved in the fabrication process, all the way from the design stage at the beginning to the assembly and the preparation of the final product.
The stages of sheet metal fabrication techniques
There are several stages in the sheet metal fabrication process. They are as follows:
- Designing:This is where companies design and plan out the final product. While various companies can work in different ways, clients can also provide specific instructions regarding the final product’s design. This results in economic efficiency and allows the design to meet the client’s expectations.
- Programming: Once the designs have been finalized, they are then translated to a machine language to create the product smoothly. This is the programming process. Various parts are drawn in their 2D form onto a metal sheet, and efficient utilization of the materials is ensured.
- Cutting: Once the machines work, the laser cutting process begins. Some lasers follow the design and cut through the material easily and accurately. This is one of the most precise ways of cutting sheet metal material.
- Punching: Different product components need different methods to put them in place. A CNC punching machine uses certain tools to hit the metal sheet and shape it as required.
- Bending: Also known as CNC folding, this is a practice that can be completed by various machines such as a manual press brake, a robotic bend cell, or even an automated panel bending machine. These machines shape the part by placing the sheet metal between a top tool and die and applying pressure to get the required shape.
- Welding: A variety of welding techniques are used when shaping the final product.
- Assembly: This is when the product is finally put together and depends on how complex the final product is. Some assemblies require inserting nuts or other tools to secure the product.
- Powder Coating: In this stage, an electrostatic powder is applied to a charged metal component and then taken to increase its durability.
This process is very complex but, if done right, produces the best results. All sheet metal fabrication companies in Malaysia follow each of these stages properly.